From railroad town, to textile center, to Race City, USA - through years of change, Mooresville has kept a strong sense of its past. Founded in the 1850s, our town has preserved a number of historic buildings, especially in the downtown area.
1899 - D.E. Turner & Co. Hardware Store
D.E. Turner is leaning on what is believed to have been the town's first gasoline pump. The interior of the store has remained unchanged since it was built and contains examples of early merchandise such as vintage typewriters, Radio Flyer wagons, and Red Ryder BB Guns
1908 - Sally Miller & Mary Perry the "Hello Girls" of the Mooresville Telephone Company
The girls look out the second floor of the Howard, Brawley & Co. Store on North Broad Street, where their switchboard was located. The firm of merchants and cotton buyers was established in 1902.
1939 - Mooresville Public Library
The Mooresville Public Library opened in December 1939 on the site of the J. Elbery Sherrill home place on South Main. A gift to the town from Mrs. S. Clay Williams (the former Lutell Sherrill). The library was built on the footprint of her home in the neo-classical style she admired.